For November's My Perfect Ten, we're so excited to feature acclaimed artist, photographer and author Jamie Beck. Jamie began taking pictures at thirteen and by twenty-eight had opened her own commercial studio in NYC. She's shot campaigns for some of the biggest brands in the world, with her work appearing in editorials like Vogue and Harper's Bazaar.
She spent close to twenty-five years traveling the world, and after a one-year sabbatical in the South of France, the course of her life changed, leading her to now live in Provence with her husband and daughter. Jamie's new book, An American in Provence, takes you on this journey of remembering "what it is like to live without consequence, without rules, to be free to play with an endless imagination.”
In Jamie's Top Ten, you'll be transported to France through her favorite things like the bouquet she loves to gift from the oldest flower shop in Paris, the jewelry she designed inspired by her life in Provence and more.
1) Place: Ménerbes. This is my favorite of all the French hilltop villages with its narrow cobblestone streets and ivy worn walls, as a photographer it is a dream village to capture. I love to come here at sunset for a long walk and listen to the town bells toll looking out of the vista below of vineyards.
2) Objects: Every time I am in Paris I stop by Astier de Villatte and their world of wonder. I love to collect the milky white vases which I use often in my photographic work. They are delicate and timeless, yet, made by hand they have these tiny imperfections which I absolutely adore.
3) Products: I am a photographer and one of the products I am most proud of, and use most often, are our made-in-provence stationery sets printed at the highest quality from a family owned small business traditional letterpress. The current version is a collection of roses I created, called Rose-de-Mai, in the South-of-France during the premier rose month of May.
4) Books: It should come as no surprise that one of my favorite books is A Year in Provence and from time to time I like to re-read it again to laugh at how accurate it is to life in the French countryside.
5) Shows: Currently watching The Empress and completely obsessing over every detail of the sets and costuming.
6) Beauty: I am absolutely obsessed with my refillable Dries Van Noten lipstick in Antwerp Vermeil satin after being turned on to it by my French actress friend. You can reuse the ceramic art cases over and over and the lipstick is hydrating, and best yet, it smells like roses!
7) For the home: I love this time of year and changing out my candles for ones that are richer and smokier. My favorite scents come from perhaps the most beautiful shop in Paris, Buly 1803, which is like stepping back in time into an old apothecary. Their candles contain the essence of old world Europe, the way old churches smell of incense and grandmother's perfume in the best possible way. Bougie Odoriférante Généraux D'Empire is my favorite.
8) To gift: L'Arrosir Paris is the oldest flower shop in Paris which is now owned and run by a young American woman who fell in love and married a Frenchman. She learned French by working in this flower shop and when the owners decided to close, she purchased it so that it may continue on as it has for over 100 years and not lost to modernization. You can order bouquets for friends, family, or loved ones and if you are visiting Paris, it is a beautiful and welcoming treasure trove to walk through and experience.
9) Jewelry: I have had the pleasure of designing a jewelry collaboration inspired by my life in Provence with luxury jewelry maker Monica Rich Kosann for the past few years. Of all our pieces, the current diamond "joy" butterfly necklace is my favorite. It's a delicate as a butterfly and an absolute treasure.
10) Fashion: I love everything romantic but also comfortable, which is why I lived in this Doen Stana Songbird dress I picked up when I was in LA this past summer recording my 1st audio book for An American in Provence.
Tenoverten Product: As a photographer (and mom of a toddler!) I am constantly on my feet. I love how The Sole Mate truly moisturizes, purifies and protects my feet. The easy application is an added bonus for when I am the go.